Where does Kirk Cousins' debut as a starter (104.4 efficiency rating) rank among these strong first NFL starts for other Redskins quarterbacks? Here are five good ones -- all in road games:
5. Jay Schroeder (1985) » After Joe Theismann suffered a career-ending broken leg, Schroeder made his first start the follow week at Pittsburgh and completed 15 of 28 passes for 176 yards, one touchdown and no interceptions (84.8 rating) in a 30-23 victory.
4. Mark Rypien (1988) » It was a 30-21 loss at Phoenix, but Rypien was not to blame. He completed 26 of 41 passes for 303 yards with three touchdowns and an interception for an efficiency rating of 99.9.
3. Gus Frerotte (1994) » As a seventh-round draft choice, the rookie replaced first-round pick Heath Shuler and led the Redskins to a 41-27 win at Indianapolis, hitting 17 of 32 passes for 226 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions for a rating of 96.6.
2. Stan Humphries (1990) » His starting debut came in his second season, and he was brilliant in a 38-10 win at Phoenix, completing 20 of 25 for 257 yards with two touchdown passes, both covering 42 yards to Gary Clark, and no interceptions for a rating of 136.2.
1. Robert Griffin III (2012) » He completed 19 of 26 passes for 320 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions for a passer rating of 139.9 in a 40-32 upset of the Saints. In addition, Griffin rushed nine times for 42 yards.
- Kevin Dunleavy