The Redskins' win over the Ravens came with the help of a dramatic fourth-quarter drive, conjuring up some other memorable drives in franchise history. Here are five that resonate:
5. Redskins 34, Cowboys 31 (1965) » Down 31-20 with six minutes left, Sonny Jurgensen (411 yards passing) guided touchdown drives of 64 and 80 yards, capped by touchdown passes to Bobby Mitchell and Angelo Coia.
4. Redskins 24, 49ers 21 (1984) ?» In the NFC championship game, the Redskins blew a 21-0 lead in the fourth quarter but put together a methodical 78-yard, 13-play drive that started with 6:52 left and ended with a Mark Moseley 25-yard field goal with 40 seconds left.
3. Redskins 30, Cowboys 24 (OT, 1975) » Billy Kilmer threw the tying touchdown pass to Jerry Smith with 1:52 left. After the Redskins survived a 38-yard field goal miss by Toni Fritsch, Kilmer scored the winning touchdown, leaping in on a 1-yard quarterback sneak.
2. Redskins 20, Dolphins 17 (1974) » Jurgensen (26-for-39, 303 yards) took the Redskins 60 yards in the final 1:46. He capped the drive with a 6-yard touchdown pass to running back Larry Smith with 16 seconds left, giving the Redskins a dose of revenge for their loss in Super Bowl VII.
1. Redskins 37, Raiders 35 (1983) ?» Down 35-20 midway through the fourth quarter, Washington rallied with the help of an onside kick recovery and two Joe Theismann touchdown passes, including the game-winner to Joe Washington that capped a 69-yard drive in the final two minutes.
- Kevin Dunleavy