Dozens of people are dead in Kenya after a small coastal town was attacked. The al-Shabab terror group, based in neighboring Somalia, is suspected. (June 16)
ASSOCIATED PRESS - AP CLIENTS ONLY
Mpeketoni, Kenya - 16 June 2014
1. Exterior of smouldering building
2. Close of debris and fire
3. Red Cross vehicles driving on road, dead body in background
5. Various of villagers standing next to dead body
6. Close of feet of dead body, villagers looking on
7. Military truck driving on road past dead dead body
8. Kenyan soldiers walking on road
AUTHORITIES IN KENYA ARE BLAMING AN ATTACK ON A SMALL TOWN IN KENYA ON AL SHABAB, THE AL-QAIDA-LINKED TERRORIST GROUP BASED IN NEIGHBORING SOMALIA.
INSURGENTS STORMED THE SMALL COASTAL TOWN ON SUNDAY NIGHT, JUST AS RESIDENTS WERE WATCHING WORLD CUP MATCHES ON T-V.
AT LEAST 48 PEOPLE IN ASSAULTS ON TWO HOTELS AND A POLICE STATION.
KENYA'S TOP POLICE COMMANDER SAYS A BANK WAS ALSO ATTACKED.
KENYA HAS EXPERIENCED A WAVE OF ATTACKS IN RECENT MONTHS.
THE U-S, BRITAIN, FRANCE, AUSTRALIA AND CANADA HAVE ALLL RECENTLY UPGRADED THEIR TERROR THREAT WARNINGS FOR THE COUNTRY.
MATT SMALL, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS.